On 10/14/2011 5:16 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:
We all have many clocks that we can turn to to help us arrange our
activities. Sometimes what we see when we look at the clock makes us
do something that we would rather have waited longer to do. In that
sense, a clock on the wall is 'providing some timing for the
organism'. That doesn't mean though that we don't have free will. If
that were the case we wouldn't need clocks at all, since our behavior
is already determined by our internal clocks. Why would such a timed
organism ever need to look outside of itself to pretend to want to
know the time?

Craig

You already noted that diurnal cycles get synced by light/dark cycles. The point is that you don't will these cycles, yet you rely on them: to wake up on time, to remember appointments, etc.