On 10/20/2011 7:20 PM, nihil0 wrote:
I think most consequentialists, especially utilitarians, consider all
sentient beings to have moral status.

But *equal* moral status? I cannot believe anyone has ever even attempted to live by such an ethic.

Utilitarians say an action is
morally better to the extent that it produces more well-being in the
world.

But measured over what time period?

Anyway I would prefer to focus on whether act consequentialism implies
that all actions as morally equivalent, if the universe might be
canonically infinite.

There seems to an inconsistency at the heart of this. The multiverse is postulated to avoid wave-function collapse, so the world evolves strictly unitarily, which is to say deterministically. So you have no libertarian free will with which to make choices anyway.

Brent

Jon