Dear John,

On 22 Oct 2011, at 23:07, John Mikes wrote:

my thanks for taking the time in your busy schedule to reflect to my babbling to Stephen.

If you don't mind, I reflect to some of them just in plain text above your post copied hereunder.
*
So "numbers' ARE markers for quantity? what are "quantities"? (they may not be so abstract!) And: of WHAT?
*

Numbers can do many things. Mainly measure a discrete quantity (like bank account, spermatozoids in a drop, etc), and they can put linear order on discrete sets, like in the 546th avenue. They can also be code for description of any finitely describable things. Then by virtue of the explosive richness of the laws of addition and multiplication, which makes the prime numbers already, all alone, emulating (at the least) quantum chaos, and which makes the existence of the Indra Net of self-reflecting universal numbers, the number reality becomes locally, from *their* points of view full of qualities which go well beyond what the numbers can describe with only numbers.
Numbers cannot avoid unsolvable conflicts between heart and reason.

In the mind? an abacus is pretty real <G> in material construct.
*

Each time I use the term machine, it is in the well definite mathematical sense of Church Turing Post, etc. A physical machine is just an observable digital pattern seeming to obey to the laws of numbers.

Later on you question 'my' WORLD, which is(?) the infinite complexity of everything in a fashion that is beyond us. As I imagine (in my faith???) it's both a-temporal and a-spatial so I do not consider a "LOCAL" reality (to describe quantities or anything else).
*

I am interested in the relation between the global and the local. The outer god and the inner god.

I cannot understand 'logic' or 'logics' without knowing what could be "THINKING" (the WAY of which logic should be).

Thinking, in a large sense, is what universal numbers do.
Classical thinking is when they obeys to the Boole's laws of thought. Then they inherit a Löbian mind once they believe in the numbers, or in the machines.

I have a pretty ignorant image of 'mentality' all in those parts of the "WORLD"?? which is still not explainable in our informational basis - with a (material) -tool- we apply for it, called the neural brain,

The brain, like the universe is in your head. Indeed, in the head of all UNs. The LUNs know that.
UN = Universal Number.
LUN = Löbian Universal Numbers.

I don't go for a mechanistic neuronal interaction-firing scheme becuase it does not answer several of my questions (no repeat here).

Low level description of something can account of a higher level reality, but usually cannot explain it. You need higher levels.
People confuse an account for, and an explanation.

*
Br: If you agree that there is something unknown, you believe that there is something to be known or believed OK? I dislike to be though with MY mind by someone else (ha ha). No, I don't 'believe' there is something we know. We think we know.

OK.
I do think we know that we are conscious though. (Although I doubt we know who we are, or who "we" is). The rest, from the existence of parents, moon, bosons, galaxies and dark (or not) matter: those are (theoretical beliefs).

About the numbers, I have no definite opinion.

I accept some of it to have something to go on/by, call it "MY belief system" because such is the human way we think (?).

In science we call that an assumption. It is your theory. We need theories to go on, indeed.

After Robert Rosen I hold a view of a 'model-world' made of known ingredients (topical/functional) as the sole domain we can THINK within. In addition to that is the rest of the infinite complexity (unknown to us) influencing our model-content (I think) .

Yes. And since Gödel, we are like that already in front of the arithmetical truth: we can only scratch the surface (provably so if we are machine-emulable).

This is why we cannot pinpoint THE cause of a change chosen from the known model-content only.

OK.
And if we try to pinpoint the thing, we change it.

We speak in processes: it may be a change in relations (between much more than what we can imagine and totally different from even 'aspects' we can think of.
I take my agnostic ignorence for real.

Yes, good. Now, with the mechanist ASSUMPTION, there is a dessert! The LUNs can access a part of their ignorance. Enough, for taking their agnostic ignorance for real. They can do science in the cold way without wishful thinking because they know that they don't know. They hope for the best, and fear the worst.

*
A machine? Feel free to identify it as MORE than what WE are.

That's the case for the physical machine. But, in the theory I suggest (yes doctor), we have to distinguish the mathematical machines from the physical machines. The first are emulable by one universal machine in a quasi-direct way. The second, the physical one, result from very deep long and competitive struggle between all universal machines.

Would you restrict (your) machine to structural components within our inventory of today?

Not at all. They can have many clothes, and many different type of relative clothes.

HER functions to restricted into OUR present sortiment of activities? I like to call it an ORGANIZATION and no such restriction emerge. It is only a name. "WE" are orgqnizations as well, with unlimited (into our models that is) connections into the WORLD (infinite complexity of everything). Your Universal Computer may be even more compact and outreaching. (I am not talking about our present binary embryonic digital Kraxlwerks - we call our computers).

*Assuming* "yes doctor", you and me are such universal machine, but here "you" and "me" does not refer to our special earth-local incarnation, but all the arithmetical incarnations.

Thanks for your thoughts

With pleasure,

Best,

Bruno