On Feb 14, 2:21 pm, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> The comp answer is "yes you can be made wet by a virtual typhoon, but
> you have to virtualize yourself, or more precisely you need only to
> virtualize your skin-interfaces with the virtual typhoon.
>
> Stephen, do you agree with this? Do you agree that with comp, we can
> in principle, make you feel like being under a tempest, by virtue of
> running a computer in room. Craig would clearly answer that this is
> not possible, given that for him, comp is not possible in the first
> place.

To be clear, I think it may very well be possible to imitate the
experience of a typhoon virtually*, but only through a physical
interface to the sense organs or the brain directly. This does not
mean though that it is possible to imitate the experience of
experience itself. Full sensory virtual typhoon animation? Absolutely.
Virtual consciousness, understanding, feeling? Possibly in a living
tissue bank or something, but not in a glass brain.

*true virtual reality is one of best things that I can imagine. I have
nothing against astonishingly realistic virtual experiences, if
anything, I think one of my reasons for wanting to point out the
problems with strong AI is to get on with the business of making
sensory prosthetics and not worry so much about simulating
intelligence.

Craig