2012/3/6 meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net>

>  On 3/6/2012 9:27 AM, Quentin Anciaux wrote:
>

> 2012/3/6 meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net>
>
>> On 3/6/2012 8:12 AM, David Nyman wrote:
>>
>>> On 5 March 2012 23:50, meekerdb<meeke...@verizon.net>  wrote:
>>>
>>>  It's unclear as to whom "you" and "your" refers to.
>>>>
>>> Let me suggest a heuristic.  Assume that any given instance of
>>> experience (by which I mean just whatever is necessary to permit some
>>> sort of determination to be made) is selected at random from the class
>>> of all such moments. All personal-indexical references can then be
>>> taken as referring to the conjunction of this instance and whatever
>>> "personal history" is implied by its content and structure.
>>>
>>> This heuristic serves to justify the "expectation", from the
>>> perspective of any such instance, of its substitution by other such
>>> instances.  Insofar as such substitutions imply "continuations" of the
>>> present moment, they can be considered as constituting part of the
>>> "future" of a particular personal history.  If this heuristic is
>>> applied consistently to the various thought experiments, (with the
>>> usual allowance for "measure") it should be obvious that "diary
>>> entries" recoverable within any given experiential instance will
>>> typically record precisely the sort of prior uncertainty or
>>> indeterminacy, with respect to the present instance, that Bruno is
>>> talking about.
>>>
>>> David
>>>

>>  I don't think I have a problem with the indeterminacy.  Consider in your
>> scenario that we duplicated a video camera instead of a person.  When look
>> at what the cameras in M and W have recorded in one we see pictures of
>> Helsinki followed by pictures of Moscow and from the other we see pictures
>> of Helsinki followed by pictures of Washington.  The ambiguity comes when,
>> before the duplication, we ask, "What will this camera record?".  "This" is
>> ambiguous just as "he" is ambiguous.
>

> The question is indexical... it it not "he" but "I"... in the thought
> experiment *you* are the one duplicated, and you ask yourself your own
> expectation for your next moment. Maybe what is "you" is not well defined
> for something outside of you (us ;) ) but I expect you know what you are,
> and feel...
>

> At any given moment.  But when you ask about my future, and under the
> hypothesis I may be duplicated, then that future "I" is not longer
> indicial, it is ambiguous...which is the source of the indeterminacy.

It is the source of inderteminacy... but from your POV it is not
ambiguous... after the duplication, each copy will not feel any ambiguity
about the past... and before the experience, you won't feel any ambiguity
about yourself, only an inability to predict your next expectation... which
is the 1p-indeterminacy.

Quentin