On 3/8/2012 10:37 AM, John Clark wrote:
On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 1:11 PM, David Nyman <da...@davidnyman.com <mailto:da...@davidnyman.com>> wrote:

    > "The 1-view from its own perspective" can NEVER be plural.

Why?

> After duplication there are two people,

One person.

> each of whom must possess a singular perspective.

Yes, both brains have a single identical perspective.

    > Both of these persons would recall being unsure in Helsinki where he
would end up

Yes, both would recall identical things.

    > Do you dissent from this?.

Only the part about "there are two people", there are two bodies but only one conscious person in that symmetrical room because if you swap their positions subjectively there is no difference and objectively there is no difference so it's not much of a jump to conclude there is no difference between them.

But then there's only one room and one body, per Leibniz's identity of
indiscernibles.

This is similar to Feynman's idea of why all electrons are identical: there is only one electron which appears multiple because it zig zags back and forth in time as well as space. Unfortunately we don't know what statistics consciousness obeys.

Brent

 John K Clark