1. We cannot doubt that we are aware.

2. Our awareness may represent realities which are independent from
our own existence.

3. Our awareness may represent ideas and fantasies which have no
existence independent from our experience of it (and whatever
neurological processes are behind it)

4. Representation can only be accomplished through presentation.

5. A word or a picture has to look like something to us in order to
remind of us of something else.

6. Saying that awareness or qualia only represents another process
does not explain why there should be any presentation of that process
in the first place, let alone posit a mechanism by which a physical
process can be represented by something that does not physically
exist.

7. The problem with the mechanistic view is that it relies on the real
existence of awareness and choice to make a case for distrusting
awareness and choice.

A consequence of this logical contradiction is that when we begin from
the assumption of mechanism and work backwards it almost invariably
blinds us to the presentation of the work that we ourselves are doing
in determining this deterministic opinion. We fool ourselves into
thinking that there is no man even behind our own curtain, and mistake
all authentic, concrete presentations for abstract, symbolic
representations. That does not work for awareness because awareness
itself can only be represented to something which is already aware.

Thus the symbol grounding problem arises when we make the mistake of
assuming first that awareness must follow the rules of the world which
is represented within awareness. Since the experience does not show up
on the radar of materialism, we are forced to accept the absurdities
of ungrounded feeling which emerges somehow without mechanism or
explanation from generic physical changes or computations. We have to
conflate symbol and reality - either by making reality not primitively
real (comp) or by making symbols not really real (physics).

To me, the clear solution to this is not to begin from either the
assumption of idealism or materialism but to examine the relationship
between them. Once we notice that there is really nothing about these
two positions which is not symmetrical, we can move on to the next
step of examining symmetry itself. What I find is that symmetry is a
bootstrap metaphor for metaphor.

Symmetry is what makes sense - literally. How it does this is
understandable. It presents and then re-presents itself. It
demonstrates how significance and order can be expressed through
reflection. It is both mathematical and aesthetic but serves no
purpose in either a comp or physical universe. It is so fundamental
that we miss it entirely - which makes sense since we are part of the
universe rather than objective observers of it.