Hi William,

On Apr 2, 1:02 pm, "William R. Buckley" <bill.buck...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Craig:
>
> Please explain a little further what you mean by *accomplished through
> presentation* and in
> particular, what you mean by presentation.

What I mean by that is that to make something seem like something
else, it has to appear as something experienced in the first place.
The color blue can't be purely a representation of optical/
neurological patterns without there being a presentation of those
patterns (blue) which is different from that which is represented. If
the patterns were already literally blue, there would be no need to
translate them and we would see blue images in the tissues of the
brain. If blue was nothing but a summary of physical patterns, any
presentation would be redundant and we would use purely abstract,
instinctive (unconscious) models.

>From blindsight, synesthesia, and anosognosia we know that particular
qualia are not inevitably associated with the conditions they usually
represent for us, so it seems impossible to justify qualia on a
functionalist basis. Just as a computer needs no speakers and video
screen inside itself, there is no purpose for such a presentation
layer within our own mechanism. Of course, even if there were a
purpose, there is no hint of such a possibility from mechanism alone.
If there was some reason that a bucket of rocks could benefit by some
kind of collective 'experience' occurring amongst them, that's a
million miles from suspecting that experience could be a conceivable
possibility.

Rather than 'consciousness', human beings would benefit evolutionarily
much more by just being able to do something mechanically conceivable
things like teleport, time travel, or breathe fire. Awareness doesn't
even make sense as a possibility. Were we not experiencing it
ourselves we could never anticipate any such possibility in any
universe.

> Your point number 5 fits clearly within the purview of semiotics.

My view really is a semiotic view, except that I think semiotics
itself arises out of sense-motive experience. It has to start with a
subject who can receive, interpret, and transmit signs. Signs without
a subject can't be signs...can't really be anything.

Craig