On 4/24/2012 6:19 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:
On Apr 24, 4:22 pm, meekerdb<meeke...@verizon.net>  wrote:

As I've posted before, when we know how look at a brain and infer what it's
thinking and
we know how to build a brain that behaves as we want,
If w can build a brain that behaves as we want rather than how it
wants, then it isn't a brain.

So because my children behave as I want they don't have brains!?

Brent

in other words when we can do
consciousness engineering, the "hard problem" will be bypassed as a metaphysical
non-question, like "Where did the elan vital go?"
The hard problem cannot be bypassed because there is no functional
reason for consciousness to exist.

That should make it easy to bypass. We'll make intelligent, compassionate robots and people like you will want to ban them from lunch counters and make them live in ghettos.

Brent

It doesn't matter that every time I
push this button I know that the March Hare materializes in mid-air,
it still doesn't make any sense that he could or would appear.

Craig