On Apr 24, 1:33 pm, Richard Ruquist <yann...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Craig, Can you give us a synopsis of the consciousness conference?
> Is there any convergence of their thinking or is it still rather scattered?
> Richard

The conference had a good mix of well known names, professors and grad
students doing presentations. For others like me they had a gallery of
billboards/posters where we had a designated time to stand around and
answer questions or chat with people.

It has been going on for several years now, so I don't know if there
has been any real progress as far as coming to a consensus, but in the
lectures I attended and the people I talked to, I was surprised to
find that there was a lot of overlap. Really Susan Blackmore was the
only speaker that I saw who advocated a purely materialist view and
she was practically booed when she put up a slide that said
"Consciousness is an Illusion".

Microtubules were well represented, as were fractals and Higher Order
Theories, but nowhere was the kind of knee-jerk instrumentalism that I
encounter so often online. It seemed to me that variations on
panpsychism were more popular. There is a link to abstract book here:
http://www.consciousness.arizona.edu/ if you want to read about all of
the presentations.

Craig