On 5/7/2012 8:30 AM, Richard Ruquist wrote:
The combination of MWI and string physics may suggest a reason why quantum physics must exist and it has to do with the string landscape plus the acceptance on your part of some of the (outrageous) claims of string theory. I say that the most outrageous claim of string theory is that the compactified dimensions, (the so-called Calabi-Yau Manifolds (CYMs), which are discrete ball-like particles a thousand Planck lengths in diameter) possess the constants and laws of physics. So assuming that every CYM is identical in our universe, then the number of possible different universes depends on the number of distinct versions of the CYMs, which is the so-called String Landscape.

Now according to Yau in his book "The Shape of Inner Space" each CYM particle has 500 topological holes, more or less I presume. And a constraining higher-order electromagnetic flux winds through these holes. Now if the CYMs contain the laws of quantum physics, it is reasonable, but perhaps not necessary, that that quantum physics applies to this flux and that it may exist in any number of quantum states. To determine the string landscape, string theorists have assumed the nice round number of 10 for the number of quantum states the flux may possess. If so then the number of possible different configurations of a CYM is 10^500. (For comparison the number of Planck volumes in our universe is at least 10^175 or the number of CYMs is about 10^165).

So in a MWI context, even if each universe in the multiverse required a distinct CYM, there seems to be more than enough to go around. Even if the number of flux quantum states were say equal to the CYM dimensionality (6), the number of distinct CYMs at 10^390 seems to provide ample MWI universes, even for a Omniverse. But if the CYMs were like a classical computer rather than a quantum computer, the number of distinct CYMs at 2^500= 10^150 seems insufficient for MWI.

I don't see how you're connecting MWI to different string physics? MWI is about different observations in *the same* physical universe. It has nothing to do with different effective quantum fields or different symmetry breaking.

Brent

Therefore if all these assumptions are acceptable to you, quantum physics must apply to the CYMs for there to be enough distinct CYMs to support MWI. That is a reason why we have quantum physics (Perhaps a LoL rather than a QED is appropriate here)
Richard

On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 9:42 AM, Pierz <pier...@gmail.com