On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 9:20 AM, scerir <sce...@libero.it> wrote:

> >A few quotes below to dualism from Max Velmans.
> >Evgenii
>
> H. Kragh ("Dirac: a Scientific Biography", Cambridge U.P., 1990) reports
> a 1927 discussion between Dirac, Heisenberg and Born, about what
> actually gives rise to the so called "collapse" (reduction of waves
> packet).
> Dirac said that it is 'Nature' that makes the choice (of measurement
> outcome).
> Born agreed.  Heisenberg however maintained that, behind the collapse,
> and the choice of which 'branch' the wavefunction would be followed, there
> was "the free-will of the human observer".

Leibniz, IMO, would also claim that Nature makes the choice, but that his
collection of monads perceive (based on their consciousness) what is the
best possible wave function choice to obtain the best possible universe.
What Leibniz apparently leaves out of his philosophy is that human
free-will consciousness can make the world imperfect, perhaps even
suicidal. String theory seems consistent with Leibniz in that the discrete
balls of compactified dimensions have some monad properties, which is these
days what I preach. And I wonder if this could be consistent with COMP,
since it's all theological. Richard