On 11 Jun 2012, at 17:45, R AM wrote:

On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 5:34 PM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:
On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 1:37 PM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

OK, for the sake of the argument, let's suppose that you ate spaghetti because that's what you liked at that moment. Do you think you could have done otherwise?

Now, let's suppose a gangster decides to rob a bank after considering all his options. Later he might be judged and told that "he could have done otherwise"? Could he really have done otherwise?

At the level of the arithmetical laws, or physical laws, the answer is no. But we don't live at that level, so at the level of its first person impression the answer is yes.

OK. So that means that if you (or the ganster) were put again in exactly the same subjective situation (same beliefs, likings, emotions, intentions, memories, same everything) you could do otherwise?

No. But the gangster does not know this determination. So although at that level he could not do otherwise, from his perspective, it still can make genuine sense that he could have done otherwise, from our embedded pov perspective. Only for God, it does not make sense, but locally we are not God.

More specifically. You are in a situation where you crave for spaghetti, you haven't had spaghetti in the last month, you know spaghetti is good for er ... whatever. You therefore make the decision to eat spaghetti. Now, you are put again in exactly the same situation and ... do you really think you could choose strawberries instead? would you choose strawberries?

If I am craving spaghetti I could not do otherwise. But then I would not have said it. The situation is when I remember having hesitate, and the day after, despite the determination, I can think that I could have done otherwise, because I cannot be aware of the complete determination. And, indeed, after that hesitation, I might well have taken the strawberry.

Determinism is just not incompatible with genuine "free will" or "will", for the will is not playing at the same level than the determination. If they were on the same level, you could trivially justify all your act by "I am just obeying the physical laws", which is just false, because you are an abstract person, not a body.

A guy rapes and tortures 10 children, could he have done otherwise? Well, there is a sense for some medical expert to say that he could have done otherwise, for the guy is judged responsible and not under some mental disease (for example). Now, if the guy defends himself in saying that he was just obeying to the physical laws, he will convince nobody, and rightly so.

He will convince nobody because we all believe that he (and all of us) could have done otherwise. And we all believe that because, for some reason, we believe it is unfair to punish someone if he cannot do otherwise. What I'm saying is that belief in free-will is just a justification for punishing people.

OK. And rightly so, unless unfair trial of course.

But in fact, we punish people, not because "he could have done otherwise" but because next time, he will think twice.

Actually this is not proved, and some argue that going in jail can augment the probability of recurrence of certain type of crime. But that's not relevant. So OK.

Next time, he will not be in the same subjective situation: he will have the memories of his punishment and he will take that into account.

He learned "to do otherwise".

If next time he is in exactly the same subjective situation, he will do exactly the same. Why would he do otherwise? Why didn't he already?

The point is not that he is determinate, but that he is aware of his non knowledge of determination, making him capable to think correctly that he might have done otherwise; perhaps having a slight change of state of mind, or awaken in different mood, or any detail he knows that he did not know.

Sometimes, we might become aware of the reason which might have invite us to do otherwise, so we prepare ourselves better for the future hesitation.

Let's suppose that a person forgets everything every morning. Would it make any sense to punish someone like that, because he just could have done otherwise?

Someone like that must go to an hospital, be cured, and then can be judged responsible or not. It can depend on many factors. There are no general rules, nor any scientific criteria for judging with any certainty the responsibility.

We are determinate, but we cannot known completely our determination, so from our point of view there is a genuine spectrum of different possibilities and we can choose "freely" among them. It does not matter that a God, or a Laplacean daemon can predict our actions, for *we* can't, and have no other choice than choosing without complete information, and in some case it makes sense that we could have made a different choice (even if that is senseless at the basic ontological level, for the choice is made at another level, from an internal first person perspectives.

But what I'm saying here is not ontological determinism but in fact, about the subjective experience. I'm defending that we cannot imagine ourselves in exactly the same subjective situation and still think that we could have done otherwise.

But "exactly the same subjective experience" is ambiguous. Our doing depends also on unconscious processing, of the luminosity of the sky, of possible subliminal messages from peers, of hormone concentration, and all those factors might be unknown. Then determination does not prevent free will, because we don't live at the level of such determination. That is why we can hesitate, and we can easily imagine, in some situation, that we might have done otherwise, the circumstances being slightly different---with us not necessarily aware of the difference at time.

Or something equivalent, if we were put again in exactly the same subjective situation, would we do otherwise? I don't think so, but If yes, why?

We can't. Given your condition. But the determination being unknown, we can correctly conceive of having done otherwise, for a little unknown reason which would have influence the choice made after some hesitation. Even without hesitation, there is still, even more, free will. That God can predict I will take a cup of tea, does not change the fact that I will take it willingly (and responsibly, respectfully, etc.)

In the modal logic, this is well explained. The "divine intellect" (G*) knows that 1p = 3p, but neither the 3p machine, nor the 1p subject can know that equivalence, and thus they obey different logics.

Bruno

To justify our acts by God Will or by Physical Laws (or Arithmetical laws) is the same type of level confusion, or perspective confusion, mistake. I would say.