On 6/22/2012 2:51 PM, meekerdb wrote:
On 6/22/2012 11:42 AM, Stephen P. King wrote:
It is a known fact that the brain is a "connection" machine. We do not fully understand how it works and many people are only assuming (based on a cartoon of a proof by Tegmark) that it is just a classical machine.

"Connection machines" don't implement any different computations than Turing machines. Tegmark's paper just showed that the neural transmissions of the brain are almost always classical. You would reach the same conclusion if you just considered the evolutionary function of the brain. A brain that used more than a small amount of quantum randomness would not be conducive to survival.

Brent
Dear Brent,

I know of Minksi's proof... It would be helpful if you looked at the fine and subtle details before you rattle off the party line on the subject! I was discussing the "neuron 323" situation which does in fact make a difference in connections machines. The role of contrafactuals is at issue and has not fully been resolved in my humble opinion. We discussed this in http://www.mail-archive.com/everything-list@googlegroups.com/msg19437.html Tegmark's paper discusses only the ion channel aspect of neurons and does not consider any other possible way that entanglement could be maintained. Here is a talk by Hammeroff outlining the research so far. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXFFbxoHp3s I don't agree with the OrchOR hypothesis but it is separable from the entanglement idea... One experiment that your decide this involves testing how the brain manages to keep qualia within a 80 msec. window to appear simultaneous. It is as if time for the brain is a 80 msec wide sliding window. The research of David Eagleman is relevant here: http://eaglemanlab.net/time/our-experimental-questions

--
Onward!

Stephen

~ Francis Bacon