On 7/21/2012 4:27 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

Le 19-juil.-12, à 22:30, John Clark a écrit :

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 8:51 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

Maybe that's what the smarter ones think privately but that is most certainly NOT what they preach to their congregation on Sunday, if they even hinted at such a thing they'd be excommunicated and would no longer be catholic theologians.

Hmm... That does not happen, for it would make disappear Catholicism in Europa. But that happens for the intellectual. My favorite catholic theologians has eventually been excommunicated indeed, and got professional problems, but only for his writing, and that is a constant in the history of the catholic Church. Why do you defend them? Why does atheists always defend the most conservative position in religion?

Because it is the politically powerful position and therefore the one most important to discredit and resist. No one cares what Sufi or Rastafarian theology is in Europe because they exercise no power.

It looks like defending something stupid just to be able to say "I don't believe in
it".

Not defending - just not redefining. It looks better than using a word that appears to endorse the politically powerful while claiming to reform them.