2012/7/10 meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net>

>  On 7/10/2012 10:49 AM, Alberto G. Corona wrote:
>
> There is something deeply religious in many scientifics in his quest to
> expand their Truth. And there is also something very philosophical indeed.
> But they ignore both. They ignore their beliefs and their positivistic
> metaphisics, born in the disputes between nominalists and realists during
> the middle ages. And there is no stronger faith than the faith that see
> himself as aboslute truth about everithing, that ignores its shorcomings
> and its history, and that show contempt or even denial of entire parts of
> the reality.
>
>  This furious  scientist proselitism us understandable and it is
> even healthy, because the idea of a objective scientist with no emotions
> is hypocrite.
>
>  That shows once again that faith is something a society can not live
> without,. because faith in ultimate, unexplained truths is the prerequisite
> for any coordinated social action. And the truths upon which a society
> build itself is its most valuable treasure.
>
>  This seems of topic, but I suggest something to discuss here: shared
> human conscience. We live in a shared virtual conscience. It is shared
> because we share the context and it is virtual because it depends in the
> context of shared beliefs: beliefs in the myths and histories that created
> our country, beliefs in some moral laws, beliefs in the prestige of some
> special humans: priests, scientifics, political figures of the past and the
> present.   We can not verify our beliefs because we have no time and no
> knowledge to do so. So we resort to faith. faith in authority: being
> scientific, political or anything. common faith and legitimated authority
> is necessary to live with others and thus whenever a society is build, it
> needs it.
>

> I think you are confounding faith and trust.

Trust is a stress reduction word, a secularization form of faith. Just like
fraternity instead of  charity (that means "love"). it was introduced in
Europe after the French revolution.

http://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=faith%2Ctrust&year_start=1720&year_end=2012&corpus=0&smoothing=3

The german people in the 30´s had faith or trust on Hitler (and here comes
Hitler again).  It does not matter.You can see that the relation of trust
with reasonable facts is less tan tenable. The "duck" epistemology of trust
is the same as faith. The etimology  of trust in many languages: (allmost
all the latin derived languages) is the same as faith. because the faith is
the essence of trust. you trust your friends because you belive that you
know how your friends act and thing. The mental  operation of trust and
faith are the same when you lose your faith in something you loose your
trust on it and viceversa.

Moreover, people have not infinite abilities. they are limited because our
brain is limited and not general purpose. we have a mental organ for
keeping and changing beliefs and trust or whathever you may call it (let´s
call it social capital habilities). For that matter ideologies and
religions are the same in psychological terms. A group of ecologists
singing in a Al Gore´s conference  and a group of christians like me
staring at the window of Vatican have the same brain areas excited. But
also an ignorant who praise science looking at Stephen Hawkins.

 A phisicist ignorant in common law of philosophy or History or Morals, or
game theory or evolutionary psychology or Theology or ignorant in our
traditions and now they came to be not only is sure that he would  say
nonsense when talking about things that really matter for our lives, but
for sure it  could become as dangerous as the anthropologist that gave
support to Hitler. knowledge in a limited field does not mean knowledge in
what is important.

Hawking is simply going beyond what its knowledge authorizes him to talk
about.  People tend to extrapolate its self confidence from one field to
another. But what is worst, our mind can not distribute our trusts, we tend
to grant trust to people no matter what they talk about, specially when
most of our limited knowledge comes from people like him. That is part of
the economy of computation and our tendency to form closed groups of mutual
trust based on common beliefs to optimize our social capital.  Upon a group
is stablished and belief is consolidates, we the humans are in disposition
to defend it with lies, rejection of facts and violence. No matter how
"scientific" of true (all believe that they are) is the set of beliefs.
That is the nature of our evolved mind.

So be careful.