On 02 Aug 2012, at 21:55, John Clark wrote:

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012  Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

>>The problem is I have no conception of free will and neither do you nor does anybody else, at least not a consistent coherent one that has any depth.

> This contradicts your own definition of free will that you already find "much better". It is hard to follow you.

That's because you aren't paying attention. I said the values of other definitions of free will were negative but mine was much more valuable, it has zero value.

>> 2) Free Will is the inability to always predict ones actions even in a unchanging environment.

>My definition is basically your "2)", and this since the beginning.

And you can restate it as "you don't know what the result of a calculation will be until you finish it" ; unlike other free will definitions it's clear and isn't self contradictory, but it also isn't deep and it isn't useful so its value is zero, but zero is greater than -10 or -100.

> You do the same error as with theology and notions of Gods. You want them to be handled only by the crackpots.

Crackpots should have a monopoly on crackpot ideas and theology and notions of God are crackpot ideas.

Define "God", "theology" and "crackpot idea". You talk like if you have solve the mind-body problem, the origin of things, etc. I remind you that I am using those terms in the pre-christian original sense, and then I approximate those meaning in the frame of computer science. See for example the arithmetical interpretation of Plotinus' theory.

>> Intelligence theories are not nearly as easy to come up with [as consciousness theories] but are far far easier to test, its simple to separate the good from the bad.

> It is actually very simple. I define a machine as intelligent, if it is not a stupid machine.

I did not ask for a definition I asked for the Fundamental Theorem of Intelligence that explains how intelligence works and can be proven to be correct by making a dumb thing, like a collection of microchips, smart. Hard to come up with but simple to test, it would be the other way around if we were dreaming up new consciousness theories.

There is no recipe for intelligence. Only for domain competence. Intelligence can "diagonalize" again all recipes. Even for competence, effective recipes are not tractable, and by weakening the test criteria, it is possible to show the existence of a non constructive hierarchy of more and more competent machines. It can be proved that such hierarchy are necessarily not constructive, so that competence really can evolve only through long stories of trial and errors. Intelligence is basically a non constructive notion. It is needed for the development of competence, but competence itself has a negative feedback on intelligence. Competent people can get easily stuck in their domain of competence, somehow. If you are interested in theoretical study of competence, you might read the paper by Case and Smith, or the book by Oherson, Stob, Weinstein (reference in my URL).

Bruno

  John K Clark