John,

Stephen and Bruno:
enjoyable reading. About that darn "intelligence"?
I have my roots in Latin so my take is "inter-lego" - to READ between the lines (or words). I add some (believed) points to it: we like to go to the utmost of our 'knowledge - base' with (intelligent- ha ha) thinking and HAVE (hopefully) a chance to "shave off" that borderline towards a bit more. This comes in with 'creativity' as well. So "OUR" (whomever Bruno allows to include for 'us') - not machine - intelligence goes "a bit" beyond the hardware, whatever we postulate for such. (A reason why I deny/ at least doubt/ some "artificial intelligence": we cannot 'program' or even 'read' beyond the limitations of our existing knowledge).

I agree with this. Machine (more exactly the person-entities supported by machine) will be intelligent despite humans, not thanks to humans.
An intelligent computer will be a computer searching a better user!

Sorry, Bruno, in my (believed!) infinite complexity I must go beyond any 'machine' pattern and if you just include it into your 'universal' qualia I will not call it a 'machine'. But this is a 'naming question".

Yes. It makes sense to say that the first person canonically attached to a machine is not a machine.

Semantics? Description vs The Thing Itself (if we allow such).

With omniscience there is no intelligence. (J. Mikes)

Thankfully, there is no omniscience possible at all. In the comp theology, even the gods cannot be omniscient.

Cheers,

Bruno