On 13 Aug 2012, at 17:55, Platonist Guitar Cowboy wrote:

When this cowboy has to write a score, there are always the constraints of what client/audience expect; even if they expect breaking a set of conventions.

But the actual writing, the 1p experience of it, is out of my control. If I am afforded conditions to be allowed to be open for surprise, this control loss is ecstatic and overwhelming, in the sense that I can't keep up with the seemingly "foreign?!" streams of notes and melodies filling my head. Kind of like, when you start dreaming and you're sort of conscious that you're dreaming pre- sleep, then complex imagery/thought starts to unfold "automatically" without our control, at a rate much higher and denser than we would ever be able to code in real time, with interfaces available to us today. Mahler said to Bauer Lechner upon conducting his symphonies later in life: "I don't feel like I wrote the damned things. I feel like I'm conducting somebody else's score." And although I can't write anything close to a Mahler symphony, I feel the same towards "my" own scores.

The craft part, tools of formal music theory and so on, are only useful after this "generation" phase; serving merely to organize, make presentable, to perfume, polish and make palatable the highly dense strings of musical info passing through us all the time (if I remain quiet and thoughtless enough, and my local universe doesn't interrupt, including my analytical thinking, I'll begin to hear it). Contrary to Tom Waits, who is a much better song writer than yours truly, I do not believe that "the muse just happens to strike you when you get lucky". For this cowboy, it's more a problem, to create the conditions that make surprise possible: for me when my analytical faculties are weakened sufficiently.

Yes, I would subscribe to "every symphony/song exists" outside of time or is pre-established. But they are infinite.

Yes.

And they fork infinitely into new songs. I want my musical redundancy pure and free and the problem is all the functional, analytical noise, and biological need's stuff in the way ;)

:)

After I've gone fishing, then the formal theory and craft becomes central; and you discover: Funny, "I" did that, would've never crossed "my" mind...

OK.

I've never solved a NP-Complete problem though :)

The classical satisfiability problem of propositional logic is NP complete, so I am pretty sure you did solve some of them. When looking if p -> (q -> p) is a tautology, you do solve a NP-complete problem instantiation. There are two variables, p and q, so you will need 2^2 lines in the truth table. So that truth table algorithm is intractable if the number of variable is too big. With 64 variables you would need 2^64 lines. NP problem are algorithmically solvable, but not necessarily tractable, and necessarily non tractable in case P ≠ NP, as almost everyone believe, but it is still a major open problem in computer science.

Bruno