On 15 Aug 2012, at 04:22, William R. Buckley wrote:

Dear Russell:

When you can design and build a machine that builds itself, not
its replicant but itself, then I will heed better your advice.

See my paper "planaria, amoeba and dreaming machine" (in the publication part in my url).

Reproduction regeneration and embryogenesis are easily solved through a theorem due to Kleene in theoretical computer science. They have all be implemented, so it is also practical computer science.
As I said: the notion of self is where computer science is at its best.

I can sketch the main idea, if you desire.

Bruno

wrb

-----Original Message-----
From: everything-list@googlegroups.com [mailto:everything-
l...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Russell Standish
Sent: Tuesday, August 14, 2012 4:11 PM
To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Why AI is impossible

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 11:16:47AM -0700, William R. Buckley wrote:
John:

Regardless of your dislike for the term omniscience versus
universality, the
Turing machine

can compute all computable computations, and this simply by virtue of
its
construction.

wrb

John is right - omniscience is a different concept to
universality. For the sake of clearer conversation, it is better to
keep that in mind, rather than arbitrarily redefining words "Humpty
Dumpty" like.

Of course, if there is no accepted definition for a concept, it is OK
to propose another one. But please restrict it to concepts that are
logically sound, and be prepared to drop your own definition if a
better one comes along.

Cheers

-----
Principal, High Performance Coders