On 8/21/2012 3:39 PM, Richard Ruquist wrote:
String theory predicts the viscosity of the quark-gluon plasma
already found at the LHC and several other sites.

Hi Richard,

    Could you link some sources on this?

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 3:25 PM, Stephen P. King <stephe...@charter.net <mailto:stephe...@charter.net>> wrote:

    On 8/21/2012 12:19 PM, meekerdb wrote:
    On 8/21/2012 4:10 AM, Roger Clough wrote:
    Hi guys,
    Neither CYM's nor strings physically exist-- instead, they
    represent things that exist.
    Anything in equation form is itself nonphysical, although the
    equations
    might describe something physical.

    The equations of string theory describe strings.  So how does it
    follow that strings aren't real.  That's like saying a sentence
    that describes my house shows that my house isn't real.

    I agree that string theory (or any other theory) is a model of
    reality and not reality itself.  But, if it's correct, it refers
    to reality or at least some part of reality - like, "My house is
    green." refers to a part of reality, but "My house is blue." does
    not.

    Brent

        When and if string theory makes a prediction that is then
    found to have a physical demonstration we might be more confident
    that it is useful as a physics theory and not just an exercise in
    beautiful advanced mathematics. The LHC is looking for such
    evidence...

    For example, if I live at 23 Main street, 23 Main Street is not
    my house,
    it is my address.
    Roger Clough, rclo...@verizon.net <mailto:rclo...@verizon.net>
    8/21/2012