From: John Clark
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-08-29, 13:42:26
Subject: Re: Re: Two reasons why computers IMHO cannot exhibit intelligence

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 8:58 AM, Roger Clough <rclo...@verizon.net> wrote:

>But computers can only do what their programs/hardware tell them to do.

If computers only did what their programers told them to do their would be
absolutely no point in building computers because they would know what the
machines would end up doing before it even started working on the problem. And
you can't solve problems without your hardware so I don't see why you expect a
computer to.
?
> To be intelligent they have to be able to make choices?eyond that.

We're back to invoking that mystical word "choices" as if it solves a
philosophical absurdity. It does not.

They should? be able to beat me at?oker even though they have no poker program.?

Why?? You can't play poker if you don't know something about the game and
neither can the computer. And you can cry sour grapes all you want about how
the computer isn't "really" intelligent but it will do you no good because at
the end of the day the fact remains that the computer has won all your money at
poker and you're dead broke. I said it before I'll say it again, if computers
don't have intelligence then they have something better.

> Leibniz would say, "If there's no God, we'd have to invent him so everything
> could function."

And I would say "what's God's theory on how he is able to keep things
functioning?"

? John K Clark

?