On 29 Aug 2012, at 20:09, Craig Weinberg wrote:

On Wednesday, August 29, 2012 1:22:38 PM UTC-4, William R. Buckley wrote:

Cells are indeed controlled by software (as represented in wetware form – i.e. DNA).

It isn't really clear exactly what controls what in a living cell. I can say that cars are controlled by traffic signals, clocks, and calendars.

To whatever we ascribe control, we only open up another level of unexplained control beneath it. What makes DNA readable to a ribosome? What makes anything readable to anything?

Encoding and decoding, or application and abstraction, or addition and multiplication, ...

Sense is irreducible.

From the first person perspective. Yes. For machine's too.

No software can control anything, even itself, unless something has the power to make sense of it as software and the power to execute that sense within itself as causally efficacious motive.

This seems to me like justifying the persistence of the physical laws by invoking God. It is too quick gap filling for me, and does not explain anything, as relying on fuzzy vague use of words. I might find sense there, but in the context of criticizing mechanism, I find that suspicious, to be frank.