On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 7:55 AM, Roger Clough <rclo...@verizon.net> wrote:

>  Hi Bruno Marchal
>
> In 1) you left out the someone to be conscious. Consciousness needs a
> subject.
> In 2) you left out the our.  Consciousness needs a subject.

Consciousness needs a subjective point of view but if you think of how we
experience being deeply engrossed in a movie or book, or how we 'lose
ourselves' in Flow states, it seems that the necessity of a subject in the
human sense is an open question - although the existence of human
subjectivity certainly suggests that such a subject is inherently possible
through consciousness.

I remember having dreams in which I was not present, but rather just aware
of events and people as they were interacting. Not even a voyeur, but no
sense of there being anything other than the people and their activities.
Maybe dream consciousness doesn't qualify as consciousness, but that's a
separate semantic issue. It could also be the case that such dreams and
self-transcendence are only possible as an a posteriori imagination which
arises from a fully formed human self...hard to know.

Craig