Just to avoid confusion, this sentence:

*I would say that mathematics is just very tightly plotted fiction where so
many details of the story are known up front that the plot can only
progress in very specific ways if it is to remain consistent and believable
to the "reader".*

Should probably be:

*I would say that mathematics is just very tightly plotted fiction where so
many details of the back-story are known up front that the plot can only