From: Bruno Marchal
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-09-24, 09:12:29
Subject: Re: Prime Numbers

On 24 Sep 2012, at 12:39, Roger Clough wrote:

> Hi Bruno Marchal
>
> Numbers are not in spacetime, that is, are not at location r at time
> t.
> So they are ideas,

God's ideas? Then I am OK. The comp God is arithmetical truth, so this
works.

> they are not physical.

OK.

> To be physical you
> have to have a specific location at a specific time.

I am OK with this, but note that it makes the Universe into a non
physical object. The Universe cannot belong to a location r at time t,
as it is the gauge making such position and time consistent in the
picture.

> This is not
> my view, it is that of Descartes.
>
> The same with arithmetic. Numbers and arithmetic statements are not
> at (r,t).

OK.

> Which is not to say that they are not real, if by real I mean true
> or as is without an observer. Like in a textbook.

OK. So you can understand how comp is interesting, as it explains
(partially but more than any other theory) how the physical beliefs
appears and why they come in two sort of shapes (quanta and qualia),
and this without assuming anything more than elementary arithmetic and
the invariance of consciousness for some digital transformations.
Then the "big picture" happens to be closer to the neoplatonists one
than the aristotelian one, which I think you should appreciate.