I don't doubt that initial experiments would not yield ideal results.
Neural prostheses would initially be used for people with
disabilities. Cochlear implants are better than being deaf, but not as
good as normal hearing. But technology keeps getting better while the
human body stays more or less static, so at some point technology will
match and then exceed it. At the very least, there is no theoretical
reason why it should not.

Indeed. And cochlear implants could have a much wider frequency range (like I did when I was younger :-) ) and they even be designed to 'hear' RF. So then Nagel will be able to ask "What is it like to be a human?"