From: John Clark
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-10-11, 13:14:54
Subject: Re: Re: Zombieopolis Thought Experiment

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at? Roger Clough  wrote:

> Free Will-- You need enough freedom

My difficulty with the "free will" noise is not the "will" part, you want to do
some things and don't want to do others and that's clear, my difficulty is with
the "free" part; and all you're saying is that free will is a will that is free
so that does not help me.

> to make a choice of your own.

A choice made for a reason or a choice made for no reason; it's deterministic
or it's random.

?

> Strictly speaking, I prefer the term "self-determination" meaning by anything
> inside your skin.

And that thing inside your skin that made you choose X rather than Y came to be
there for a reason (memory, your DNA, environmental factors, etc)? or it came
to be inside your skin for no reason at all in which case it was random. I
still have absolutely no idea what the "free will" noise is supposed to mean
and a very much doubt that you or anybody else does either; and yet despite not
having the slightest idea of what it means they will continue to passionately
believe it. Weird. I neither believe nor disbelieve in "free will".?

? John K Clark