From: Russell Standish
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-10-18, 17:45:39
Subject: Re: Re: Why self-organization programs cannot be alive

On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 01:56:14PM -0400, Roger Clough wrote:
> Hi Russell Standish
>
> I apologize for using two different concepts of
> creation of structure from randomness.

Its good to clarify these thoughts. Great!

> There are two types of creation of structure:
> by life, where there is an agent or self to create things,
> and by a computer program, where creation is mechanical.

Not just a computer program. Physical systems can self-organise in
purely mechanical ways too - eg Per Bak's sandpile, or Benard cells.

> Self-organization is purely mechanical and does not require
> nor does it have a self. It just uses a computer program
> written elsewhere. But photosynthesis is by a living cell
> entity. The organization of light into cell structure is
> not self-organization, which is purely mechanical.

I wouldn't be so sure that photosynthesis isn't a purely mechanical
process in your classification. Certainly, it is about as agent-like
as some computer programs.