From: Stephen P. King
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-11-05, 13:51:48
Subject: Re: Emergence of Properties

On 11/5/2012 1:19 PM, Roger Clough wrote:

Hi Stephen P. King

In the end, we must accept a truth, so in the end,
all truth is pragmatic. We must cast our own vote.

Dear Roger,

    Are you familiar with Kenneth Arrow's impossibility theorem and the voting
paradox ?

http://mindyourdecisions.com/blog/2008/02/12/game-theory-tuesdays-someone-is-going-to-be-unhappy-an-illustration-of-the-voting-paradox/

"The executive summary is that whenever there are at least 2 people and at
least 3 options, it? impossible to aggregate individual preferences without
violating some desired conditions, like Pareto efficiency. You either have to
accept that society will not act rationally like an individual would, or you
have to accept that society? preferences will exactly mimic one person?
preferences. In a sense, that makes the individual a dictator."

    I suspect that this impossibility might explain why people are so easily
seduced by arguments like Einstein's quip: "The moon still exists if I am not
looking at it!" We always over-value our own individual contribution to the
definiteness of properties that we observe in the physical universe. It also
might have something to do with the problem of Free Will and the absurd
implications of the Quantum Suicide argument.

--
Onward!

Stephen