On 07 Nov 2012, at 18:12, Roger Clough wrote:

Hi Bruno Marchal

Cool. Shows you how little I know.

Those things are virtually unknown by most. Computer science is very technical, and the number of publications is explosive, almost an industry. It is also a gold mine, alas, most philosophy curriculum does not have good courses in the field. We separate the human and the exact sciences, which does not help. In science we still kill the diplomats, and this means that science is still run by unconscious (pseudo)-religion, if not simply "the boss is right" theory. Of course the degree of graveness is very variable in time and places.

Bruno

Roger Clough, rclo...@verizon.net
11/7/2012

From: Bruno Marchal
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-11-07, 12:05:11
Subject: Re: Peirce's concept of logical abduction-- a possible moneymaker

Hi Roger Clough,

Hi Bruno Marchal

Yes, by new I mean contingent. But Kant, although his examples
are debatable, at least sought a synthetic a priori,
which of course would be a gold mine, or perhaps a stairway
to the divine.

Pragmatism rejects the idea of there being any
such universals, but I think by abduction strives
to obtain completly new results (if actually new I can't say).
I think that's why Peirce came up with the concept of abduction.
The concept is very seductive to me for its possible
power of discovery of something unknown or new.
If comp could do this, I'd not spend a moment more on
simulating the brain. Such a program might be worth a lot of
money in venues such as AI, the defense industry, medicine
and criminal investigation a la Sherlocki Holmes.

Abduction is just one technic among many to do inductive inference (predicting theories from fact, synthesizing programs from input- output sequences, finding explanations from data, etc.).

The mathematical theory of inductive inference is a very large subfield of theoretical computer science and theoretical artificial Intelligence, or Learning theory. AI is the practice and/or experimental part of it.

Behavioral Comp is the idea that machines can emulate all 3p aspect of experience and consciousness.
STRONG AI is the thesis that machine can have 1p experience.
COMP is the thesis that *you* are emulable by a computer.

Famous theorem in theoretical learning theory:

Roughly speaking we measure the "intelligence" (really competence) by the largeness of the class of computable processes recognized (explained, inferred) by a machine, or by the number of such classes (or comobinations).

What is *much* more clever than a machine? Answer: two machines. It is the non union theorem of Blum and Blum. Actually, and in general, the gap of intelligence is incomputably big.

A machine which can change its mind n times is also incomputably more "clever" than a machine which changes its mind m times, if m < n. (Case and Smith)

A surprising result: a machine which is able to change its mind, despite he got a correct theory, is again *much more* clever than a machine which sticks on the correct theory! (Case and Smith).

Case & Al. refuted also a form of strict Popperianism. Machines able to infer irrefutable theories can learn larger classes, and more classes, of computable process.

Most result are, as we could expect, non constructive. No machine can really construct a machine and prove that such machine is more clever than herself. But of course machine can do that serendipitously, and machine can build other hierarchies, close to form of biological self-extension.

References below.

Theoretical computer science is a *very* large part of mathematical logic. With both a deductive and an inference inductive part.

Computer are very peculiar objects. They seem close to what you say about the supreme monads, but the supreme monads are not Gods, they are only God reflector, or God mirror. God is more like the whole truth, I mean the whole arithmetical truth, which contains the many truth concerning many universal numbers and universal relation between numbers. The monads are windows through which God can take a look at itself, but the supreme-monads the universal numbers, are window enough large so that God can begin to "recognize" itself, so to speak.

Bruno

BLUM L. & BLUM M., 1975, Toward a Mathematical Theory of Inductive Inference.
Information and Control 28,.pp. 125-155.

CASE J. & SMITH C., 1983, Comparison of Identification Criteria for Machine Inductive
Inference. In Theoretical Computer Science 25,.pp 193-220.

CASE J. & NGO-MANGUELLE S., 1979, Refinements of inductive inference by Popperian machines. Tech. Rep., Dept. of Computer Science, State Univ. of New- York, Buffalo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abductive_reasoning

"Abduction[1] is a form of logical inference that goes from data description of something to a hypothesis that accounts for the reliable data and seeks to explain relevant evidence. The term was first introduced by the American philosopher Charles Sanders Peirce (1839?1914) as "guessing".[2] Peirce said that to abduce a hypothetical explanation from an observed surprising circumstance is to surmise that may be true because then would be a matter of course.[3] Thus, to abduce from involves determining that is sufficient (or nearly sufficient), but not necessary, for [b, unclear symbol].

For example, the lawn is wet. But if it rained last night, then it would be unsurprising that the lawn is wet. Therefore, by abductive reasoning, the possibility that it rained last night is reasonable. (But note that Peirce did not remain convinced that a single logical form covers all abduction.)[4] Peirce argues that good abductive reasoning from P to Q involves not simply a determination that, e.g., Q is sufficient for P, but also that Q is among the most economical explanations for P. Simplification and economy are what call for the 'leap' of abduction.[5] In abductive reasoning, unlike in deductive reasoning, the premises do not guarantee the conclusion. Abductive reasoning
can be understood as "inference to the best explanation".[6]
There has been renewed interest in the subject of abduction in the
fields of law,[7] computer science, and artificial intelligence research.[8] "