On 12/29/2012 12:32 PM, Platonist Guitar Cowboy wrote:

    In french we say popularly that "about taste and color we don't argue".
(Des goûts
    et des couleurs on ne discute pas).

That's because Francophones have no taste, they just try to sell the notion that they do for marketing ;)

In Germany this is more ambiguous, as we have the equivalent statement but also its negation: a popular turn-of-phrase is "Über Geschmack lässt sich bekanntlich streiten." Roughly translates "On matters taste, we can argue/negotiate/dispute", which fits with the fuzzy linguistic statement above.

I thought every body just quoted the latin, "De gustibus non est disputandum.", which is literally the opposite of the German (the Romans were more tolerant?) but probably means the same.