From: Telmo Menezes
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2013-01-04, 03:51:54
Subject: Re: Rupert Sheldrake - The Morphogenetic Universe

Hi Roger,

On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 7:14 PM, Roger Clough  wrote:

?upert Sheldrake - The Morphogenetic Universe

What is space ? ?here is no such thing as space, there are only fields,
? ? which are mathematical structures.

Fine.
?

What is matter ? There is no such thing as matter, because it is only a field.
? ? There is no such thing as mass, which is why there is no such thing needed
? ? as a Higgs field to form what we call mass. Hence we haven't found a Higgs
? ? or field.

Ok.
?

What causes a foetus to grow into a baby ? Is it DNA ? Biologists agree DNA
does not do that.

This I have a problem with. Biologists agree on no such thing and they do have
very compelling explanations for how morphogenesis works. As an aside, I find
that someone using some variation of the phrase "all scientists agree" is a
very bad sign.

I believe this results from an outdates view of the DNA as an inert blueprint.
We now know that DNA is a computer program, capable of conditional execution
based on inputs from the environment. Biologists call these mechanisms "gene
regulatory networks":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_regulatory_network

The initial?ndifferentiated?ell divides a number of times, and the accumulation
of cells and their interactions eventually changes the environment in a way
that triggers the expression of other segments of the genetic code.
?

If these questions puzzle or intrigue you, you might want to watch

Rupert Sheldrake's ?"The Morphogenetic Universe"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Dm8-OpO9oQ

[Roger Clough], [rclo...@verizon.net]
1/3/2013