Hi (socratus)

Idealism is the belief that reality can be more accurately understood
philosophically than scientifically. Theology is a similar belief,
namely that reality can be more accurately understood
philosophically than scientifically.

If you accept the philosophical-theological view, you need read no further.

Although philosophy and theology do not deny the physicality, the laws and
formulas, of the physical world, their explanations for how things
"really' happen differs between philsopher-theologians
and scientsts.

Idealists were turned off by materialism's denial that
there is no real difference between the mental and the
physical world. So while they took science seriously,
they took the philosophy of mind more seriously,
in order to more correctly (though not necessarily more simply)
to describe reality.

that they adopted the idea that everything
is mental in reality, and went on from there.

For a more detailed answer, see below.

I can't speak for all idealisms, but Leibniz considers the whole
(or at least the essential components of) the physical world to
have a corresponding mental representation of monads,
Kant only how we perceive and think.

With L, each of us can only perceive the phenomenal world (
what we see from our perspective).

Both are anthropomorphic. Both separate the phenomenal world
(what we can perceive) from the actual or "thing in itself" world.
Both do not deny the existence of the "thing in itself" world,
both accept science as it appears to be. The formulas, laws, etc.

I say "appears to be" because L believes , like all idealisms,
that only the mental world is the real one, although these two, unlike Berkiely,
do not treat our phenomenal world as an illusion.

You can still stub your toe, but the explanation for what happens
is for these two entirely mental, while not sure what K says.

But they both deal with those weevents from the viewpoint of
philsophy of mind, only through descriptions of physical
events using the languyage of mental events.

But they deal with different turfs. K takes the phenomenol world
and his philosophy of mind
is essentially a very good and generally accepted
teory of perception,

[Roger Clough], [rclo...@verizon.net]
1/14/2013