On 1/21/2013 2:09 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:

On Monday, January 21, 2013 4:59:55 PM UTC-5, Brent wrote:

    On 1/21/2013 11:05 AM, Stephen P. King wrote:
    Materialism fails since it cannot explain how it is possible for material
things to
    have representations of things, intensionality, such as numbers.

    That's something evolution explains.

Evolution can be used to retrospectively judge that it would be convenient if there were such things as representations, but it offers no such thing as a physical ontology of it. Evolution can also 'explain' why we have teleportation, time travel, and telepathy in the same way.

If you want a causal explanation then I recommend you study computer science and learn how a computer can have representations of cities and faces.