On Monday, January 28, 2013 12:34:32 PM UTC-5, Brent wrote:

> [...]
>>> seems to me that concepts like MWI, Bruno's comp/mech hypothesis and the
>>> 'dreams of numbers' ideas of subjectivity, and even Leibniz's 'best of all
>>> possible worlds' don't actually do something like flee away from our
>>> everyday responsibility to accept the basic fact that we have been CHOSEN
>>> -- and when I say this, please don't immediately put a bunch of theological
>>> baggage on it. I'm not saying God chose this reality as opposed to another,
>>> although this might be a convenient shorthand. But what I am saying is
>>> that, out of all the staggering possibilities that we know exist with
>>> regards to our universe, our galaxy, our solar system, our planet, our
>>> society, and even our individual selves, things could have very easily
>>> turned out to be different than they were. The fact that they have turned
>>> out in just this way and not another indicates this kind of chosenness, and
>>> along with it, comes a certain degree of responsibility, I guess?
>>>
>>> It seems to me that all the various 'everything' hypotheses (MWI, comp,
>>> Leibniz, and others) try to apply the Copernican principle to its breaking
>>> point. True enough, there is from a purely 3p point of view nothing special
>>> about our cosmic situation re: our planet and our sun. BUT, from an
>>> existential 1p point of view there is a huge privilege that we have, i.e.
>>> we are sentient observers, who love, feel pain, feel desire, and long for
>>> transcendence.
>>>

>>> There's a desire to respect the Copernican principle (don't assume we're
>>> 'special') but also to avoid randomness.  This then leads to the hypothesis
>>> that *everything* (in some sense) exists.  That way you avoid randomness
>>> without assuming that we're special.
>>>

>>> Moreover, the 3p point of view is a pure abstraction, kind of like
>>> eating the picture of a meal rather than the actual meal. How do we know
>>> what any kind of 3p account of truth would be? What would it even look
>>> like? A universe with no observers. A falling tree without a
>>> hearer/listener. This, to me, is nonsense.
>>>
>>> Aren't things like MWI of quantum physics and comp hypothesis of
>>> universal dovetailer trying to, at a fundamental and existential level, an
>>> attempt to try to run away from the concreteness and absolute 'givenness'
>>> (gift) of the world as we find it? And isn't our role, in creation, as
>>> freely choosing beings (sorry, John Clark, free will is more than just a
>>> noise) to choose what will make other people with us now and in the future
>>> feel more love and less pain? And isn't this why we were chosen?
>>>

>>> To say we're chosen is just another way to avoid randomness.
>>>

>> To say we are avoiding randomness is to assume that there is something
>> other than randomness to be embraced.
>>

>> That's what being 'chosen' implies - that there is a 'choser', an
>> alternative teleology to be embraced.
>>

> There doesn't have to be just one chooser. The universe could be made of
> choosers that can appear random when seen from a distant or incomplete

No. It just seems random from the outside because outsiders only see a
small part of what is going on.

> And how do they effect this choice?

Through the active primitive of sense: efferent participation.

> And where do they appear?

It's their behaviors which 'appear' to be random (or determined). I wasn't
saying that anything unusual appears.

  It seems you are just spinning fairy tales.

See what I mean? You are only getting some of what I am trying to explain,
so your view is that my explanation appears random or senseless.

>  But in a universe where there were no choosers, how would it be possible
> for anything to be 'embraced', let alone non-randomness?
>

> Before QM, determinism was embraced by many thinkers.

Sure, because they use their free will (efferent participation) to do that.
I am talking about the hypothetical universe which lacks free will and
creative choosers.

>> Why should anything that exists want to avoid randomness?
>>

>> Ask somebody else, I'm not avoiding it.
>>

> I'm talking about in principle, ontologically, how is it possible for
> anything to 'want to avoid randomness' if there is no ontological
> alternative?
>

> Why do you think there is no alternative?

I thought that is what you meant by 'To say we're chosen is just another
way to avoid randomness.'. You are saying that the interpretation of
conditions as 'chosen' is a psychological defense mechanism which generates
a fantasy to avoid an unacceptable truth.

You've introduced 'choice' which I assume you consider non-random.

I think that choice is that which seems both non-random on the inside and
seems automatic (involuntary) on the outside.

Craig