On Wednesday, February 13, 2013 10:15:53 PM UTC-5, Craig Weinberg wrote:

> On Wednesday, February 13, 2013 7:05:39 PM UTC-5, freqflyer07281972 wrote:
>>
>> Hi Craig,
>>
>> Thank you for your very well considered point of view on my original
>> post. I have some interjections that I would enjoy hearing a response to:
>>

> Thanks Dan, I'll try my best.

>>> What I propose is that a complete description of the universe must
>>> include:
>>>
>>> 1. The experience of significance.
>>>
>>> This speaks to the idea of chosen-ness, of choice, of free will, of
>>> improbability as a quality as the subject of appreciation.
>>>
>> There is a difference between choosing and being chosen. The former takes
>> place on the level of the agent -- it is where 'free will' is exercised.
>> The latter has no free will associated with it
>>

> Sure, but they are ontological conjugates, i.e. you can be chosen locally
> without having the ability to make choices yourself (theoretically
> anyways), but you can't be chosen without the presence of some choosing
> agency in the universe.

BINGO - here's a smuggled premise, the premise of 'choosing agency' - why
would there be agency to any choosing force? this is like making the same
mistake as eager adaptationist versions of evolution that import 'just so'
stories to explain what are, in essence, really quite blind and arbitrary
design decisions that propagate from one generation to the next (spandrels-
steven j. gould), for the simple reason that they a) didn't die before they
had more offspring and b) had offspring to propagate that feature...I would
say, on the contrary, that is is quite easy to be chosen without the
presence of a choosing agency, and the fact of natural selection proves
this (as far as i am aware, no one has ever said natural selection is an
'agent', complete with all of the free will ramifications that this term
implies)

>> -- if you are chosen to go to war by your government, then you go,
>> regardless of what you personally want (barring conscientious objection,
>> but you get my meaning, I hope). Our free will, internally, may have many
>> features of improbability and uncertainty, but the fact that we were
>> 'chosen' (i.e. came into this world without any kind of vote or say or
>> decision on our own parts) is a different matter.
>>

> Right. In general I don't have an opinion on human experience in
> particular. I'm happy to speculate for fun, but I don't have any special
> insight into whether we choose to incarnate or anything like that. Could
> be? Doesn't have to be.

But then what metaphysical work does the postulate that 'sensation is
basic' (which I take to be your fundamental postulate, and I could
certainly be wrong) do? We need our theories to do work for us, or else
they are nothing, no? What work (i.e. predictions, possible calculated
values (even qualitative, ok), saying about post-death/pre-death) does your
'sensationism' theory (for lack of a better word) do for the ultimate
questions of 'Who was I before I was born?' and 'Who will I be after I
die?')

>>> 2. The experience of the significance of the idea of insignificance.
>>>
>>> I word "the significance of the idea of insignificance" in this
>>> convoluted way to reflect the natural sequence in which the revelation of
>>> objectivity has occurred across all human societies. Since as far as I know:
>>>
>>>    a.  *all* cultures begin their history steeped in animistic
>>> shamanism, divination, creation myths and charismatic deities and
>>>    b.  *no* cultures develop eliminative materialism, mathematics, and
>>> mechanism earlier than philosophy or religion, and
>>>    c.   *all* individuals experience the development of their own psyche
>>> through imaginative, emotional, and irrational or superstitious thought
>>>    d.   *no* individuals are born with a worldview based only on generic
>>> facts and objectivity. Healthy children do not experience their lives in an
>>> indifferent and detached mode of observation but rather grow into
>>> analytical modes of thought through experience of the public world.
>>>

>> I really like what you said here. I had honestly never thought of things
>> in these terms, and I thank you for that insight. That being said, however,
>> is it merely enough to point out that this is the natural sequence of
>> things and then attach some greater significance to it? Or could we say
>> indeed that the cultures that DO in fact develop eliminative materialism,
>> mathematics, etc. and the adults that DO in fact see the world through the
>> perspective of generic facts and objectivity succeed more because their
>> view is closer to the truth? (and I'm not challenging anything here that
>> you've said, just exploring the premises).
>>

> Yes, definitely it is a big advantage to move beyond the primary
> orientation. It's a huge deal, on the order of 'In the land of the blind, a
> one eyed man is king.' Even though Western materialism is pathological when
> taken literally, it is a tremendous improvement over Oriental idealism by
> itself. It is not at all surprising that the Enlightenment carries such a
> strong charge against spiritual ideas, it's just a little sad that it can
> be so blind to the possibility that the opposite of religion isn't
> necessarily the whole answer either.

Agree completely with you here, but not sure of the character or properties
of the answer to this problem (i.e. think an opposite to Enlightenment
thinking that is not 'eastern' -- difficult, no?)

> I only say that you can have the idealism without materialism and survive,
> but you can't have just materialism from the start. You would be laughed
> off the island if you tried to suggest that all is meaningless collisions
> of invisibly small crumbs of dense energy.

This is true, I think. But this bears little upon the question of 'ultimate
truth', which is given, as we all know, by the equations and their uncanny
matchup with the way things are... so your point is really more a point
about what people do in groups and less about what the reality of nature
actually is....

>>> We are so convinced by the sophisticated realism of objective
>>> insignificance that we tend to project it into a default position, when in
>>> fact, it does not occur naturally that way. It is we who choose
>>> subjectively whether or not to project objectivity beneath our own ability
>>> to choose it.
>>>

>> OK. But just because it doesn't occur naturally that way doesn't mean
>> that our sophisticated realism of objective insignificance is no closer to
>> the truth. Indeed, I would argue the opposite -- it is precisely because
>> the view of objective insignificance, as you put it, is so hard won and
>> leads to so many practical successes in achieving what 'we' want (as a
>> species, at least, even though social justice is still something we have
>> yet to master and seems a long way off) that it would seem the 'more
>> correct' of the two.
>>

> Yes, I completely agree. Two eyes are absolutely better than just one. The
> (Western) sophisticated realism is like Windows running on the DOS of
> Oriental naive realism. If you compare Windows and DOS side by side (dating
> myself here), Windows is clearly superior - But - you can't compare them
> side by side because you can't ever run Windows unless you write it in DOS.
> You need to have religious ideas before you can write a philosophy program
> to question them, then in the language of philosophy you can write the
> science application as a performance enhancing philosophy.

Don't you worry, my friend, I'm probably as dated as you ;=)

>> Taking your viewpoint seems to lead to a kind of nebulous relativism,
>> although I admittedly might have either misread you or else overlooked
>> something.
>>

> I know it seems like that, but no, just the opposite, I am trying to show
> how sense itself is a continuum of specific qualities, with each quality
> defining the others in the specificaly most appropriate ways.

But must sense not rely upon a kind of substrate in order to make 'sense'?
Isn't there an 'outside' reality that guarantees the continuity of the
'inside' one? Isn't this what the consistency of scientific observations in
all fields demonstrates?

>>> The fact is, that were it that simple; were objectivity be the final
>>> word, then we should have had no reason to be separated from it in the
>>> first place. The whole notion of illusion depends on the non-illusory
>>> capacity of our own reason to deduce and discern illusion from reality, so
>>> that to question our own ability to freely choose, to some extent, how we
>>> reason, gives us no possibility of ever contacting any truth to deny.
>>>

>> Again, not sure if I'm misreading you (or vice versa), but my idea of
>> 'being chosen' is in the sense of a third-person point of view -- we choose
>> things, true enough, but there was already a reality given that formed the
>> context in which we could make such choices. It is this reality that we
>> have no say over, much like we have no say over the mass of the proton.
>> Further, I would submit that, of the two notions (subjective, 1p, sensory,
>> qualitative vs. objective, 3p, mental/mathematical, quantitative), the
>> latter are 'ultimately' more real than the former, although I would be hard
>> pressed to try to qualify what I mean by 'ultimately' in this case other
>> than referring once again to some kind of 'brute fact' structure of reality
>> in which our lives are purely inconsequential and arise merely as an
>> epiphenomenal byproduct of 'the way things are.'
>>

> It's complicated because what we are as human beings is a really
> convoluted collection of subjective and objective interactions. What I am
> interested in is explaining the fundamentals - the physics of sense itself,
> not of human psychology especially (although of course that comes up).
> Because we are these crazy nestings of nervous system within organism made
> of organisms - yes *to us humans in our human lives* the 3p is more real.
> What I am saying shouldn't be construed to contradict that, I only say that
> from an absolute perspective, it is actually the opposite. To us, as
> players in the game, what's real is defined by the game. To the universe
> however, we are the only reason there is a game, and the game is actually
> the disposable end of it while the experiences of the players is the
> enduring significance of the cosmos beyond our limited window of human
> scaled 'now'.

Here, it seems as though your position really devolves to a kind of
complicated and qualified solipsism.If " we are the only reason there is a
game, and the game is actually the disposable end of it while the
experiences of the players is the enduring significance of the cosmos
beyond our limited window of human scaled 'now'", as you said, I can't see
how that is any different from the full privileging of the 1p in the scheme
of things, a privileging that in the face of even the most meager empirical
tests (i.e. I go to catch the bus and miss it because I was late!!) is
wrong.

Please comment/defend,

Cheers and much admiration,

Dan