On 09 Feb 2013, at 23:38, Telmo Menezes wrote:

On Sat, Feb 9, 2013 at 7:00 PM, Quentin Anciaux <allco...@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

If you're still want to go on the technical detail, then give real technical insight of how the mind works and what can really prevent that

One insight is that the human brains stores information in an associative, decentralised memory. The way it retrieves information is by walking through a network of associations. Every new information I experience is stored in relation to my personal diary. Me and the cat have different personal diaries. What I'm proposing -- and it's not a technical argument -- is that to _know_ how it feels to be a cat you would have to receive information in relation to the cat's personal diary, and that the presence of your own personal diary would spoil the experience, because then you also see things from you perspective and not the pure 1p cat perspective. I'm not saying, however, that it is impossible to somehow inject memories into my brain that are translations of the cat's memory into my own context.

(no, you're lack of knowledge is not argument against it).

I never used my lack of knowledge as an argument -- although it's abundant in many ways. I said I don't know of an algorithm that can write new information to a coherent memory without also reading it. But I was being polite. I believe nobody can produce such an algorithm.

But you can read memory and forget it, or even read memory without making it personal, and so disconnect them from other memories. In practice, we can't both do it and prove that we have done it, but that's different. It can be done in principle. I would say.

Bruno

Cheers,
Telmo.

Regards,
Quentin

this would result in a new entity that is neither Telmo nor the cat.

Quentin

My argument is based on abstract CS, not hard drives or other technicalities.

write-only does not have to be for everybody. But it's still a technical disgression and it is discussing the number of angels on a pin for now.

I think it's a deep question.

It's not unless you have good working knowledge of the question.

Also, the fact that you can't imagine a solution yourself, doesn't mean there isn't one, lack of imagination is also not an argument.

I agree, but it's an intuition.

Well...

Quentin

Regards,
Quentin

Regards,
Quentin

For example, to store the memories on how a cat feels about climbing a tree, I would have to access my human representation of a tree to connect the memories to it, but accessing my human representation of a tree would spoil my cat experience.

Regards,
Quentin

And yes I think there are degrees and kinds of consciousness and that a cat's consciousness differs in both respects. There's consciousness of being an individual and of being located in 3-space and in time. You and the cat have both of those (whereas a Mars rover only has the latter). But there's language and narrative memory that you have and the cat doesn't. There's reflective thought,"I'm Telmo and I'm thinking about myself and where I fit in the world". The cat probably doesn't have this because it's not social - but a dog might.

But is this really a case of "degrees of consciousness" or is it just the general property of "being conscious" instantiated in different contexts? The fact that you believe you can turn me into a cat seems to indicate that ultimately you believe that consciousness is all the same.