On 13 Feb 2013, at 23:40, Craig Weinberg wrote:

On Wednesday, February 13, 2013 5:11:32 PM UTC-5, Stephen Paul King wrote:
On 2/13/2013 2:58 PM, meekerdb wrote:
On 2/13/2013 8:35 AM, Craig Weinberg wrote:

Wouldn�t Simulated Intelligence be a more appropriate term than Artificial Intelligence?

Thinking of it objectively, if we have a program which can model a hurricane, we would call that hurricane a simulation, not an �artificial hurricane�. If we modeled any physical substance, force, or field, we would similarly say that we had simulated hydrogen or gravity or electromagnetism, not that we had created artificial hydrogen, gravity, etc.

No, because the idea of an AI is that it can control a robot or other machine which interacts with the real world, whereas a simulate AI or hurricane acts within a simulated world.

��� What difference that makes a difference does that make in the grand scheme of things? The point is that we cannot 'prove' that we are not in a gigantic simulation. Yeah, we cannot prove a negative, but we can extract a lot of valuable insights and maybe some predictions from the assumption that 'reality = best possible simulation".

I just realized how to translate that into my view: "Reality = making the most sense possible." Same thing really. That's why I talk about multisense Realism, with Realism being the quality of maximum unfiltered sense. Since sense is subtractive, the more senses you have overlapping and diverging, the less there is that you are missing. Reality = nothing is missing (i.e. only possible at the Absolute level), Realism = you can't tell that anything is missing from your perceptual capacity/inertial frame/simulation.

I don't like the word simulation per se, because I think that anything the idea of a Matrix universe does for us would be negated by the idea that the simulation eventually has to run on something which is not a simulation, otherwise the word has no meaning. Either way, the notion of simulation doesn't make any of the big questions more answerable, even if it is locally true for us.

Emulation and simulation are arithmetical notion. And with comp, even "physical emulation", well, it is no more entirely arithmetical, but it is still explained entirely in arithmetical terms (an infinity of them).

Bruno

Craig

By calling it artificial, we also emphasize a kind of obsolete notion of natural vs man-made as categories of origin.

Why is the distinction between the natural intelligence of a child and the artificial intelligence of a Mars rover obsolete?� The latter is one we create by art, the other is created by nature.

If we used simulated instead, the measure of intelligence would be framed more modestly as the degree to which a system meets our expectations (or what we think or assume are our expectations). Rather than assuming a universal index of intelligent qualities which is independent from our own human qualities,

But if we measure intelligence strictly relative to human intelligence we will be saying that visual pattern recognition is intelligence but solving Navier-Stokes equations is not.� This is the anthropocentrism that continually demotes whatever computers can do as "not really intelligent" even when it was regarded a the apothesis of intelligence *before* computers could� do it.

we could evaluate the success of a particular Turing emulation purely on its merits as a convincing reflection of intelligence

But there is no one-dimensional measure of intelligence - it's just competence in many domains.

rather than presuming to have replicated an organic conscious experience mechanically.

I don't think that's a presumption.� It's an inference from the incoherence of the idea of a philosophical zombie.

The cost of losing the promise of imminently mastering awareness would, I think, be outweighed by the gain of a more scientifically circumspect approach. Putting the Promethean dream on hold, we could guard against the shadow of its confirmation bias. My concern is that without such a precaution, the promise of machine intelligence as a stage 1 simulacrum (a faithful copy of an original, in Baudrillard�s terms), will be diluted to a stage 3 simulacrum (a copy that masks the absence of a profound reality, where the simulacrum pretends to be a faithful copy.) --�

The assumption that there is a 'profound reality' is what Stathis showed to be 'magic'.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-li...@googlegroups.com.
�
�

--
Onward!