On 22 Feb 2013, at 11:55, Richard Ruquist wrote:

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 4:57 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

On 22 Feb 2013, at 04:10, Joseph Knight wrote:

Question: Why is the "derivation"* of the Born Rule in (Everett, 1957) not
considered satisfactory**?

Good question. I asked it myself very often.

*Everett shows that the amplitude-squared rule for subjective probability is the only measure consistent with an agreeable additivity condition.

And that was shown by Paulette Destouches-FĂ©vrier some decade before. My
study of Gleason's theorem (in Richard Hugues's book, Harvard press)
convinced me, at that time, that the Born rule follows indeed from the
formalism + a version of comp first person indeterminacy (implicit in
Everett, I think).
Given the time made by some people to grasp that first person indeterminacy, or even just the notion of first person in the comp setting, maybe the
problem relies there. Wallace is close to this, though.

**It is apparently not satisfactory because there have been multiple later
attempts to derive the Born Rule from certain other (e.g.,
decision-theoretic) assumptions in an Everett framework (Deutsch, Wallace). I have not yet studied these later works so cannot yet comment on them (but would appreciate any remarks/opinions that Everything-listers have to
offer).

I did study them, but I think I miss something as I think that Everett, in his long paper (thesis) is more convincing, especially in quantum computing where high dimensional Hilbert Space is required. Gleason theorem requires
three dimension at least.
Now comp requires an arithmetical quantum logic on which "a Gleason theorem" should be working, and up to now, it looks like this is quite plausible, and
then we got both the wave and the Born rule from arithmetic alone.

Do you get separate universes from comp alone?

We get many separate dreams. It is an open question if some collections of sharable dreams define an unique complete physical reality. The laws of physics are the same for all Turing machines, as they emerge from all computations, but they still can have non isomorphic solutions.

My feeling is that an unique complete physical reality is not quite plausible. I don't think this is compatible with the SWE+comp. If the SWE is correct, then the SWE is an epistemological consequence of comp, including the MWI; and if QM is not correct, with comp, this could lead to multiverses but also to multi-multiverses, or multi- multiverses, etc. Even them might be only local, without any definite global physical reality.

If the zero of the Riemann function corresponds to the eigenvalue of some hermitian operator, like some hope to show for solving Riemann conjecture, reality could emerge from a quantum chaos, which would implement a quantum universal dovetailing. To solve the mind body problem with this would still need to extract this from the (quantified) arithmetical hypostases. I mean this quantum chaos should be prove the "win" the "measure competition" among all universal systems.

Let us be clear. If computationalism is correct, we are really only at the very start of getting the comp physics. We have only the logic of the observable, and a tuns of open mathematical problems, which does not interest anyone, by lack of motivation on the mind-body problem. To use the comp-physics to do cosmology or particle physics is like using superstring theory to do a coffee. It is the "weakness" of comp, it leads to complex mathematics, very quickly, and cannot have direct applications (unlike most of physics).

The main non direct but important, in my sight, application is in the understanding that machine's theology is a science, indeed a branch of computer science, and so with comp (usually believed even if unconsciously) theology can be approached with the modest attitude of science. That can help the understanding that science has not decided between the two quite opposite conceptions of reality developed by Plato and Aristotle.

Comp provides a lot of jobs for the futures. Even without comp, biotechnologies will develop into theotechnologies, we might get artificial brains because some doctor might not ask you, and just consider it is the best treatment for you. We, here and now, might get consistent extensions in computers build by our descendents, etc.
It is not a luxe to dig on what that could mean.

To sum up, computationalism leads to the many separate physical universes, in any large sense of physical universes. With a too much strict definition of physical universe, it is possible that comp leads to just 0 universes. Just a web of dreams, defining no global sharable physical realities.

A problem: physicists don't try to define what is a (primary or not) physical universe.

Bruno

Richard