On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 7:38 AM, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> "Control" can be defined less controversially than "free will". I
>> control something if I can determine its behaviour according to my
>> wishes.
>

> What do you see as being the difference between free will and the ability to
> determine the behavior of something according to your wishes?

You insist that "free will" is incompatible with determinism or
randomness. If I accept this definition, then free will is impossible.
"Control" can be defined in such a way that it is possible even if
free will is impossible. However, if you define control as
incompatible with determinism or randomness then control is impossible
also. We will have to use an alternative word to indicate what was
previously called control in order to avoid confusion in our
discussions.

--
Stathis Papaioannou