On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 4:15 PM, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com>wrote:

> > The man who thinks he is logical is often just stubborn.

If being ruled by your head rather than your gut or your crotch is stubborn
then being stubborn is a virtue.

> There are many things related to consciousness  [...]

it's not just consciousness, there are many things related
to EVERYTHING and if one wishes to fit all those parts of the jigsaw puzzle
that is the universe together into a self consistent whole then logic is
the only tool available; maybe it will turn out that logic is insufficient
for that task but its all we've got and so we'll just have to do the best
we can.

> > The logical man is a man whose religion is logic.

Wow, calling a guy know for disliking religion religious, never heard that
one before, at least I never heard it before I was 12.

> > Not that I'm opposed to logic

Your posts tell a very different story. If it already supported what they
wanted to believe nobody, absolutely nobody, would dispute the logical fact
that if X is not not Y then X is Y.  If it already supported what they
wanted to believe nobody, absolutely nobody, would dispute the logical fact
that if changing X always changes Y and changing Y always changes X then X
and Y are intimately related. But if what you want to be true and what you
logically know must be true come into conflict then logic is just going to
have to go away and you are left with the pleasant but imbecilic idea that
if you want something to be true hard enough you can make it be true.

>>> The materialist is sure that history has been simply and solely a chain
>>> of causation…"

>> 1925 physicists, the ultimate materialists, did not believe that history or
>> anything else was "simply and solely a chain of causation"; however it is
>> unlikely that Chesterton ever knew this and like most self styled
>> philosophers remained blissfully ignorant of all scientific and
>> mathematical discoveries made during the last century or two.
>>

> > Are you referring here to the addition of randomness or probability to
> the chain of causation?

No I am not. I'm referring to Quantum Mechanics, the TITANIC revolution in
science that happened in the mid 1920's. In particular I'm referring to the
discovery of the Schrodinger Wave equation and Heisenberg's equivalent
matrix formulation. On reflection I shouldn't be surprised at your
confusion, after all I just said that modern philosophers pay no attention
to recent developments in science or mathematics; and by "recent" I mean
stuff that happened in the last 200 years.

> Even anti-Semites can have valid insights.

Yes but it does call into question ones claim to be a expert on morality,
and morality is what G K Chesterton most liked to write about.

  John K Clark