On Wednesday, March 20, 2013 12:44:02 AM UTC-4, John Clark wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 2:17 PM, Craig Weinberg
> <whats...@gmail.com<javascript:>
> > wrote:
>
> > Correlation, even 100% correlation, does not equal causation.
>

> BULLSHIT! If when X is changed there is ALWAYS a change in Y in the same
> direction, and when Y changes you can   ALWAYS  find a change in X  that
> preceded it, then X causes Y. IT'S WHAT THE WORD "CAUSES" MEANS!

Two flowers bloom at sunrise every day without fail. Does one cause the
other to bloom? Do the flowers cause the sun to rise?

Instead of two flowers, think of one flower that blooms at sunrise, and
something else that happens at sunrise that is completely unlike a flower -
like a particular song plays. If we apply this metaphorically to
consciousness, then the flower and the music are two perpendicular,
correlated expressions of the sunrise. Our subjective consciousness is the
music, and it is part of a history of music going back to the dawn of time,
and the flower is what the music looks like from the outside, and it has a
separate history of plants going back to the dawn of botany or matter.

> > Two unrelated systems can both be related to a third,
>>

> If they are both related to the same thing then they are not unrelated.

They can be unrelated except for their mutual relation to the third thing
though, obviously.

Craig