On 3/20/2013 2:19 PM, Stephen P. King wrote:

On 3/20/2013 4:04 PM, meekerdb wrote:
On 3/20/2013 10:59 AM, Stephen P. King wrote:
On 3/20/2013 6:26 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
On 19 Mar 2013, at 23:40, meekerdb wrote:
I think it likely that the first applications will be providing
soldiers with augmented senses and communication.  Just as AI
research has been funded by the military.  Threats of war are often
used to justify bypassing ethical considerations and rushing into ill
considered projects.
Sadly very plausible.
     I would claim that it is not only implausible but inevitable given
the current reluctance in the West to commit humans to the in person
task to the destruction of its enemies.

You write 'current reluctance' as though it were different in the past and might change in the future. The obvious reason for this reluctance is that if you commit humans to the task then they are more exposed to risk. Only an irrational society would risk it's members unnecessarily.

Brent

Hi Brent,

I am trying to be optimistic. You make a good point as it shows the irrationality of current policies.

If you mean current use of armed drones, my point is that it's perfectly
rational.

My argument is that the severance of the immediate physical conenction between actions and actors leads inevitably to objectification of 'the enemy'

War leads inevitably to the objectification of the enemy. Not killing your enemy up close and personal may allow better preservation of empathy.

and a general reduction in the reluctance to take extreme measure against them. Warfare become indistinguishable from playing a FPS game.

But is that bad or good. The rate of suicides among Marines who've served in the Iraq/Afghanistan war is about one per day. I'll bet it's essentially zero among drone operators.

We see a very real example of this in the currect US policy of Drone usage. Are we training our children to be 'remote control killers' by allowing them to play FPS games?
    What happens when we implement full synthetic sapience in drones?

Depends on whether they figure out how to reproduce.

Brent
"To initiate a war of aggression, is not only an international crime;
it is the supreme international crime differing only from other war crimes
in that it contains within itself the accumulated evil of the whole."
    --- Nuremberg Tribunal rejecting German arguments of the
        "necessity" for pre-emptive attacks against its neighbors