On Sun, May 26, 2013 at 10:05 PM, <spudboy...@aol.com> wrote:

> Understood, Jason. I became familiar with this digital universe concept,
> first, through Hans Moravec, in Mind Children. I wonder how possible it is
> to discover that we are part of an ancestor simulation?

If computationalism is true then it is in principal impossible to rule out
being in a simulation, so we could never disprove it.  However, it may be
possible to find strong evidence for our existence in a simulation.  If the
simulators wanted to reveal this fact to us they could make it pretty
convincing.  See http://lesswrong.com/lw/qk/that_alien_message/ for a nice
story and example.

Yet, I also think every conscious experience has an infinite number of
explanations/incarnations, some fraction of which are due to simulations.
So in a sense, we all already exist in a simulations (to varying degrees,
as different entities might have a greater fraction of their explanations
be simulations).

Jason