From: Pierz <pier...@gmail.com>
To: everything-list <everything-list@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Wed, Jul 3, 2013 2:22 pm
Subject: Materialism and Buddhism

I studied Mahajana Tibetan Buddhism in Dharamsala (home of the Dalai Lama in
exile) back in the day and I agree with Bruno and others that Buddhism is
closer
to idealism than materialism. However Buddhism ultimately rejects 'mind' too,
since what we think of as mind is closely related to the personal self. The
ultimate reality in Buddhism is nirvana or the void and all phenomena including
mental phenomena are empty of inherent existence. It is 'a-theistic' in the
sense that this ultimate reality is not a being like a god with an identity and
thoughts. However Tibetan Buddhism, like other forms, does believe in the idea
of god-like (and demon-like) beings in the phenomenal realms. To equate
Buddhism
with materialism on the basis of a few selected quotes would constitute a
highly
tendentious reading of the dharma and in my view is quite wrong. There is no
possibility of liberation in materialism and the phenomenal world is seen as
the
'real world', the very antithesis of the Buddhist view.