Hi Alberto

I wonder if the phoneme for 'ki' is represented by jagged letters in non Latin
based alphabets?

--- Original Message ---

From: "Alberto G. Corona" <agocor...@gmail.com>
Sent: 19 July 2013 2:03 AM
To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Cross Modal Synesthetic Abstraction

the asimilation sound-shape applies also to the letters:  the letters K and
I of KIKI have a lot of peaks, while B O U and A of BOUBA have more rounded
edges. the forms with Sharp edges are more aggressive, and this is know in
design. For example the rounded edges of the Apple products, that is also
in their window system is less intimidating than the squared forms of the
Windows and Unix systems.

It may be said that this is synesthesia is not something arbitrary but an
evolutionary adaptation and thus universal. A form with sharp edges can be
more dangerous, so the eye detect it fast. While a acute or metallic sound
with higher frequency components is produced by rigid objects with open
ends, while the opposite happens with low frequency components of bouba are
produced by objects less rigid or with non sharp edges.  The association is
natural.

For this reason there are a lot of K, X T, Z sounds in contraculture
and  young revolutionary movements. and also in marketing.

2013/7/15 Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com>

>  From a worthwhile thread on
> Quora<http://www.quora.com/Psychology/What-are-the-most-awesome-psychological-facts-that-you-know-of>
> .
>
> "Below are two shapes. One of them is called Kiki and the other is called
> Bouba.
>
> (image http://multisenserealism.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/bouba.png)
>  Almost all respondents when asked say that the jagged one is kiki and the
> rounded one is bouba. This can be observed across cultures. This is an
> innate ability of our brain by which one mode of sensation can cross over
> into another."
>
> Would this kind of universality of human sense-making be likely if the
> connections between words, shapes, and feelings were purely computational?

Alberto.