I will bite on this, because unlike the usual rubbish Roger spouts,
this is more on topic.

Fortunately, it doesn't stand up to criticism.

The argument is that because the standard genetic code is well
optimised against error correction, and because changes to the code
will be highly disruptive, it evolution must have proceeded very early
on in life's history, that there wouldn't be sufficient time for the
billions of experiments required to optimise the code.

Assuming for a moment that there are many possible viable genetic
codes. Then all of these genetic codes would have coexisted on
different parts of the Earth. Gradually all but the small handful of
very similar codes would be replaced by the code that replicates the
most faithfully. This process would be like hill climbing
optimisation, and happens very fast, geologically speaking. The few
hundred million years available early on in Earth's history before the
last universal common ancestor would be ample for the task.

Unlike human languages (referred to in the article), there would be no
equivalent of bilingualism at the group boundaries, leading to
instability of border areas between different codes.

Of course, if there is only one viable genetic code, in a sea of
nonviables codes, evolution would have a more difficult job. But then
we would probably appeal to the anthropic principle - we happen to
live on a planet with a viable genetic code, out of billions that
don't, because we must. We now know there are billions of planets out
there.

We will know shortly, which way the code is. We now have the
technology to create alternate artificial genetic codes, and will be
able to test the hypotheses that the standard code is unique
optimised, or uniquely viable.

But either way, it does not pose much of a problem for evolution.