Computer programs are transformed from one script (language) to another all the
time on a daily basis, and for the most part automatically by other
transformation software. As long as the input and the output schemas are
available or can be deduced from the input working code can be generated. Code
is generated all the time based on inputs that are not code.

If we change the compiler and even the language say going from C to Java for
example  -- increasingly, as transformation (and generation)  tools and
techniques evolve -- this can be done almost seamlessly and largely
automatically -- by machine driven transformation --  with very little human
intervention. It is not all that difficult to scan for a symbol and transform
it to some other canonical form or to build an expression tree that can be used
to control a more sophisticated and less direct transformation process.

As long as there is some transformer agent that can understand the schema of
the input format and knows how to produce the desired schema of the output
(even if it can not run or operate on it) the underlying functionality
described by an instruction set in one language can be transformed into a
faithful analog in another perhaps very different output language (for example
say going from UML to java code) This is done all the time by programmers and
is in fact the kind of tool I am working on today -- to take csv input and
produce well formatted xml output conforming to a given schema. It's our bread
and butter; we do things like this every day.

Similarly in living things code is transformed all  the time between encoding
formats -- moving back and forth between DNA and RNA and between RNA and
amino-acid chains.

Proto self-replicating chemicals could have similarly transformed their
rudimentary hereditary programming to some better evolved encoding format as
the necessary building blocks (specific necessary catalyzing enzymes for
example) became evolved and available. Molecules, including peptides &
proteins, often undergo processes of self assembly that result in predictable
outcomes and can generate important precursors required by living cells. Until
Theists can present a God that can be seen, felt or in some way shown to exist
(that does not rely on circular logic or faith), evolution driven abiogenesis
is the best explanation/theory we have for how life sprang up on this rock.