On 8/17/2013 1:07 PM, Telmo Menezes wrote:
You are starting from the assumption that any intelligent entity is
interested in self-preservation. I wonder if this drive isn't
completely selected for by evolution.

Sure.  But evolution also dictates that can be over ridden by love of our
progeny.

Would a human designed
super-intelligent machine be necessarily interested in
self-preservation? It could be better than us at figuring out how to
achieve a desired future state without sharing human desires --
including the desire to keep existing.

I agree. If we built a super-intelligent AI then we would also build into it certain values (like loving us), just as evolution has built certain ones into us. Of course as super-intelligent machines design and build other super-intelligent machines things can, well...evolve.

Brent

One idea I wonder about sometimes is AI-cracy: imagine we are ruled by
an AI dictator that has one single desire: to make us all as happy as
possible.